Schalast | IP, Media & Technology
The significance of industrial property rights is constantly increasing, both in business and in case law, just one example of this being the long-standing dispute between Apple and Samsung. Trademarks, and likewise patents, not only protect the intellectual property of a company, but are also real business assets. Advising and representing national and international companies in the entertainment industry, press enterprises, as well as media companies and the organisers of sporting events, in particular on intellectual property issues, has led to the fact that areas such as media, sports and entertainment, which were once clearly defined, are now inseparably linked.
IT law plays a key role in development of new technologies and innovative business models, in particular in the areas Internet, e-commerce and data marketing.
We provide IT law advice and support with respect to IT contracts of all kinds, IT projects, the use and marketing of IT services, IT outsourcing, transactions, software copyright issues, and with respect to Internet law.
Our IT team also has comprehensive experience in advising on IT restructuring concepts, even after a merger of joint venture. Compliance aspects, the protection of trade secrets and data protection law requirements are naturally taken into account so that business models can be structured in compliance with IT and data protection laws.
Typical data protection issues in particular include the analysis and use of digital media content/data, cloud computing solutions, (in-house) data transfer, customer loyalty programmes and company data protection compliance.
The demands made on our law firm’s specialists range from answering employment law questions and drafting special contractual arrangements, to representing media companies from the television and broadcasting sectors and the publishers of newspapers and magazines in copyright, press and personality rights issues. The services we offer are naturally also aimed at artists, sportspersons, journalists and authors. One of the areas our law firm has traditionally focused on is advising companies in the telecommunications and cable sector and this is also specifically covered by our IP, Media & Technology practice group.
We provide support both with respect to regulatory issues involving the Federal Network Agency, with respect to procurement and procurement review proceedings before the competent public procurement tribunals or courts, as well as with respect to antitrust issues, which repeatedly arise in the course of normal business activities.
Our international network Multilaw also ensures that our clients can be advised and represented in nearly all important jurisdictions with respect to foreign law by cooperation partners from 60 countries.
Our legal services in the area IP, Media & Technology focus on the following:
- Licence and other media-related contracts, such as production, literary purchase, distribution, artist, sponsoring, digitalisation, publishing and advertising contracts
- Media with the emphasis both on media and copyright law issues, as well as free speech issues, in particular press companies and broadcasting companies and operators, also in proceedings before state media regulators
- Advice and representation with respect to broadcasting law issues, in particular also in dealings with state media regulators
- Intellectual property (IP) with the emphasis on copyright, publishing, trademark and competition law
- Advice and representation with respect to the acquisition and sale of – also large – rights portfolios
- Advice and representation with respect to the infringement of personality rights, in particular by Internet publications
- IT-Outsourcing, IT-Transactions, Software license agreements and Internet law
- Public relations issues, in particular in relation to social media/networks, marketing and the analysis and use of digital media content/data
- Advice on IT restructuring concepts, also after a merger of joint venture
- Antitrust support in the context of merger control as well as in the design of distribution and cooperation agreements
- Antitrust support in the context of merger control as well as in the structuring of distribution and cooperation agreements
- Drafting compliance concepts in the areas of IP; media and technology
Competition Law, Trademark Law, Broadcasting Law, Licensing Law, Copyright, Law, IT Law, Data Protection Law, Antitrust Law, Design Law, Media Law, Press Law, Publishing Law, Sports Law, Entertainment Law, Internet Law, Intellectual Property (IP) Law